Xu zhou Yi feng si bi qiu ni Zhen Zhi zao guan yin ji
- Warner, Langdon, 1881-1955, American, associated name, donor
Avalokitesvara, associated name, subject
- Creation Date:
- Rubbing of inscription from votive offering dedicated by Buddhist nun Zhen Zhi (associated with Yifeng Temple) to build a votive image of Guan yin (Guanyin Bodhisattva, a Buddhist deity called Bodhisattva Avalokitesvara, known to the Chinese as Guanyin Bodhisattva-- the Bodhisattva of Compassion or Goddess of Great Mercy).
- 57 x 11 cm
- No linguistic content
- Digital Format:
- Style Period:
- Longmen Caves, Luoyang, Henan, China
- Citation/references: Ryumon sekkutsu no kenkyu, 1941. p. 260 (inscription no. 124).
General note: Script style: kai shu. ; Longmen Grottoes: Buddhist Cave Temples distributed on the cliffs along the banks of Yihe river, 13 kilometers south of Luoyang City, Henan Province. The carving work on the first cave at Longmen was already began when Emperor Xiaowen of Northern Wei Dynasty moved the capital to Luoyang in 495. Construction on caves had been carrying on for more than 500 years, during Western Wei, Eastern Wei, Northern Qi, Sui,Tang and Five Dynasties. Thus formed a scale of more than 2,000 caves and niches, over 100,000 images on 1-kilometer cliffs from south to north on the two hills of Yique.
Historical: Inscription date: 8th day of 5th mo. of 2nd. yr. of Yonglong, Tang Dynasty (681).
Inscription: Xu zhou Yi feng si bi qiu ni.....
- Fine Arts Library, Special Collections, Harvard University
- HOLLIS Record:
- Record ID: