Chinese Rubbings Collection

Historical stories scenes of Duke of Zhou became the regent and supervised King Cheng of Zhou and a procession: Wu shi zuo shi shi di ba shi (Wu shi ci zuo shi shi hou bi xiao kan xi bi hua xiang.): Wu shi ci hua xiang: Wu shi ci shi shi hua xiang: Wu shi mu qun shi ke: Wu Liang Ci hua xiang: Zhou Gong fu cheng wang, chu xing tu

Creator/Contributor:
Wu Liang, 78-151, Chinese, associated name, associated name
Warner, Langdon, 1881-1955, American, associated name, associated name
Ding Lan, Han, Chinese, associated name, associated name
Creation Date:
19th cent.-early 20th cent.
Description:
Rubbing from pictorial relief carving of 4 registers depicting story scenes: in first 3 registers, includes several historical stories and filial piety stories (such as "Wu Jizha gua jian Xu jun mu", "Ding Lan ke mu", "Cheng Ying jiu Zhao shi gu er" and "Zhou gong fu Cheng wang"); the bottom register, depicting human figures in a procession riding in horse-drawn vehicles. From the Wu Family Shrines, Jiaxiang, Shandong from 1st. year of Jianhe, Eastern Han Dynasty (147).
Extent:
74 x 75 cm
Language:
No linguistic content
Genre:
rubbings
Digital Format:
Images
Subjects:
Wu Liang ci, Jiaxiang Xian, Shandong Sheng, China
filial piety
stories
histories
wall paintings
shrine houses
family
figures (representations)
horse-drawn vehicles
horsemen
horsemen and horsewomen
horses
birds
Animals mythical
Culture:
Chinese
Style Period:
Eastern Han
Minguo
Qing
Materials/Techniques:
ink
paper
relief
Notes:
Citation/references: Chavanne, E. Mission archaeologique dans la chine septentrionale ; pl. 168. ; Zhongguo hua xiang shi quan ji, 2000, V. 1, pl. 82. ; Zhonghua shu xue da ci dian, 2000, p. 345 (Wu shi ci shi shi hua xiang).
General note: Wu shi ci: Shrine of Wu Family, located north of Wuzhaishan Village, Zhifang Town, Jiaxiang County, Shandong Province, China. Wushi Shrine is one of the earliest examples of the offering shrines erected at the Wu family graves. The monuments were erected in the middle of 2nd century AD, buried due to Yellow River flooding, and were not fully discovered until 1786 by Huang Yi, a Qing sholar and high official. The shrine was a free-standing, peak-roofed structure. ; Stone reliefs in the Wu Family Shrines were carved on the walls of the offering shrines, more than 40 engraved wall registers of slabs (16 stabs in the front chamber- Wu Rong Shrine, 17 slabs in the left chamber and 6 slabs in the Wu Liang Shrine) ; 2 pillars and 2 stone lions also appear.
Historical: Stele Date: 4th. day of 3rd. mo. of 1st. year of Jianhe, Eastern Han Dynasty (147).
Repository:
Fine Arts Library, Special Collections, Harvard University
HOLLIS Record:
https://id.lib.harvard.edu/images/olvwork297769/urn-3:FHCL:890660/catalog
Record ID:
W297769_urn-3:FHCL:890660