Musical commonplace book : manuscript, [approximately 1790-approximately 1810]
- Osborne, Elizabeth, former owner.
- Place Of Origin:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- Contains songs, partly from English operas, and instrumental music.
- 1 score (, 9-24, 27-46, 49-82, 89-90 pages) ; 29 cm
Vocal scores with piano
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Gavot in Thomas and Sally -- Air in the Overture to Love in a village -- March in Judas Maccabeus -- Coldstream, or, 2nd. reg.t of guards march -- The Bedfordshire march -- Captn Reeds, or, the 3. reg.t of guards march -- Bellisle march -- Lady Barrimores new minuett -- When Britain first -- The Lowland lads -- A dawn of hope -- Cast my love thine eyes around -- Miss Hedge's Minuet -- The highland queen -- The king of Prussia's minuet -- Jockey -- Webster's minuet -- The bird -- Marshall Saxe's minuet -- A favorite hunting song -- Miss Bowl's minuet -- I love Sue -- Young Strephon he went -- Song -- Song -- The echoing horn -- Song -- Minuet / by Sig. Bach -- March in Scipio -- Sir Watkins Williams Wynes minuet -- The new Coldstream march -- Rondeau / by Mr. Fischer -- Sweet Willy o -- The mulberry tree -- Minuett in Ariadne / by Mr. Handell --
Lovely Nancy : song -- A new song / set by Sra. Galla -- Gramachree Molly : Irish air -- Song : [In April when primroses paint the sweet plain] -- The Warwickshire lad -- Come haste to the wedding -- Duenna : sung by Mr. Du Bellamy -- The Soger lassie : sung by Miss Thornton -- The female captain : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- He's aye a kissing me : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- Tweedside -- In the camp : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- In the camp : sung by Mr. Bannister, Mr. Faucet [that is, Fawcett], & Mr. Holcroft -- In the camp : sung by Mr. Bannister -- The song in The school for scandal : sung by Mr. Vernon -- Sonnet : [E'er night assumes her gloomy reign] -- Sandy of bonny Dundee -- Weeping, widow'd Polly -- The willow / ballad by Dr. Stevenson -- All will hail the joyous day -- Adeste fideles : the celebrated Portuguese hymn for Christmas day, with an English translation -- Why huntress why : sung by Mr. Tyler in the opera of The archers / B. Carr -- Sweet girl by the light of the moon -- Dry be that tear my gentlest love / words by R.B. Sheridan Esq.r ; set to music by J. Hewitt -- A favorite song in the opera of The purse --
With pleasure I talk of my pain / a favorite Hindostan song from the poetry of Hafiz -- The maid of Lodi : a favorite Italian ballad -- Jem of Aberdeen -- Sung by Mrs Jordan in The spoil'd child -- Flattering lovers often swear -- The favorite march in Feudal times / arranged for the piano forte, violin, and flute -- The celebrated march in Blue beard : for the piano forte, violin, or flute -- The favorite serenading German waltz : arranged for the piano forte, violin, or flute -- My journey is love -- The Welch [that is, Welsh] harper : a favorite ballad / composed by Theodore Smith -- The English naval dance -- The day of marriage : sung with great applause by Mrs. Hogdkinson [that is, Hodgkinson] -- Maria, or, the beggar girl -- I'll be married to thee : a favorite Scotch song : sung by Miss Brett / Mr. Hook -- The cuckoo : from The aviary : a collection of sonnets -- Rondo : [Hush ev'ry breeze, let nothing move] -- Drink to me only -- Minutto [that is, Minuetto] -- Go the devil + shake yourselves.
Songs, English--18th century
Operas--18th century--Excerpts--Vocal scores with piano
Instrumental music--18th century
- For various instrumentations, including singer with keyboard instrument, piano with violin and flute, piano with violin or flute, 2 singers, or unspecified instrument.
Title devised by cataloger.
Pages 27, 30, 38 blank.
Gaps in page numbering represent excised pages.
Bound together, with 7 raised bands; detached from binding.
In several different hands.
Final pastedown includes handwriting samples: My dear Mamma, letter practice. Names included in different hands suggesting signatures: John, Augusta Merton, Matilda Ridley, Ann Bogue, Hudson, Maria, Caty, Ann, Jane, Ann, Nancy, Eliza Birely, James Hurley, Susan, Wm H. Harrison.
Manuscript in a number of hands, apparently copied at least in part from early American editions.
Electronic reproduction. Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard Library Preservation, 2016. (Colonial North American Project at Harvard University). Copy digitized: Loeb Music Library: Mus 405.473.
- Cite As:
- Musical commonplace book (Mus 405.473). Merritt Room, Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard University.
- Colonial North American Project at Harvard University
- Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: