Musical commonplace book : manuscript, [approximately 1790-approximately 1810]
- Osborne, Elizabeth, former owner.
- Contains songs, partly from English operas, and instrumental music.
- Place Of Origin:
- No place, unknown, or undetermined
- 1 score (, 9-24, 27-46, 49-82, 89-90 pages) ; 29 cm
Vocal scores with piano
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Gavot in Thomas and Sally -- Air in the Overture to Love in a village -- March in Judas Maccabeus -- Coldstream, or, 2nd. reg.t of guards march -- The Bedfordshire march -- Captn Reeds, or, the 3. reg.t of guards march -- Bellisle march -- Lady Barrimores new minuett -- When Britain first -- The Lowland lads -- A dawn of hope -- Cast my love thine eyes around -- Miss Hedge's Minuet -- The highland queen -- The king of Prussia's minuet -- Jockey -- Webster's minuet -- The bird -- Marshall Saxe's minuet -- A favorite hunting song -- Miss Bowl's minuet -- I love Sue -- Young Strephon he went -- Song -- Song -- The echoing horn -- Song -- Minuet / by Sig. Bach -- March in Scipio -- Sir Watkins Williams Wynes minuet -- The new Coldstream march -- Rondeau / by Mr. Fischer -- Sweet Willy o -- The mulberry tree -- Minuett in Ariadne / by Mr. Handell --
Lovely Nancy : song -- A new song / set by Sra. Galla -- Gramachree Molly : Irish air -- Song : [In April when primroses paint the sweet plain] -- The Warwickshire lad -- Come haste to the wedding -- Duenna : sung by Mr. Du Bellamy -- The Soger lassie : sung by Miss Thornton -- The female captain : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- He's aye a kissing me : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- Tweedside -- In the camp : sung by Mrs. Wrighten -- In the camp : sung by Mr. Bannister, Mr. Faucet [that is, Fawcett], & Mr. Holcroft -- In the camp : sung by Mr. Bannister -- The song in The school for scandal : sung by Mr. Vernon -- Sonnet : [E'er night assumes her gloomy reign] -- Sandy of bonny Dundee -- Weeping, widow'd Polly -- The willow / ballad by Dr. Stevenson -- All will hail the joyous day -- Adeste fideles : the celebrated Portuguese hymn for Christmas day, with an English translation -- Why huntress why : sung by Mr. Tyler in the opera of The archers / B. Carr -- Sweet girl by the light of the moon -- Dry be that tear my gentlest love / words by R.B. Sheridan Esq.r ; set to music by J. Hewitt -- A favorite song in the opera of The purse --
With pleasure I talk of my pain / a favorite Hindostan song from the poetry of Hafiz -- The maid of Lodi : a favorite Italian ballad -- Jem of Aberdeen -- Sung by Mrs Jordan in The spoil'd child -- Flattering lovers often swear -- The favorite march in Feudal times / arranged for the piano forte, violin, and flute -- The celebrated march in Blue beard : for the piano forte, violin, or flute -- The favorite serenading German waltz : arranged for the piano forte, violin, or flute -- My journey is love -- The Welch [that is, Welsh] harper : a favorite ballad / composed by Theodore Smith -- The English naval dance -- The day of marriage : sung with great applause by Mrs. Hogdkinson [that is, Hodgkinson] -- Maria, or, the beggar girl -- I'll be married to thee : a favorite Scotch song : sung by Miss Brett / Mr. Hook -- The cuckoo : from The aviary : a collection of sonnets -- Rondo : [Hush ev'ry breeze, let nothing move] -- Drink to me only -- Minutto [that is, Minuetto] -- Go the devil + shake yourselves.
Songs, English--18th century
Operas--18th century--Excerpts--Vocal scores with piano
Instrumental music--18th century
- For various instrumentations, including singer with keyboard instrument, piano with violin and flute, piano with violin or flute, 2 singers, or unspecified instrument.
Title devised by cataloger.
Pages 27, 30, 38 blank.
Gaps in page numbering represent excised pages.
Bound together, with 7 raised bands; detached from binding.
In several different hands.
Final pastedown includes handwriting samples: My dear Mamma, letter practice. Names included in different hands suggesting signatures: John, Augusta Merton, Matilda Ridley, Ann Bogue, Hudson, Maria, Caty, Ann, Jane, Ann, Nancy, Eliza Birely, James Hurley, Susan, Wm H. Harrison.
Musical commonplace book (Mus 405.473). Merritt Room, Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard University.
Manuscript in a number of hands, apparently copied at least in part from early American editions.
Electronic reproduction. Cambridge, Mass. : Harvard Library Preservation, 2016. (Colonial North American Project at Harvard University). Copy digitized: Loeb Music Library: Mus 405.473.
- Colonial North American Project at Harvard University
- Eda Kuhn Loeb Music Library, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: