Papers of William Gilson Farlow, 1866-1919 (bulk), Edward Palmer plant lists of Florida and Bermuda algae, Mexican mosses, and fungi, 1878-1908, [n.d.]. WG 1.1.
- Farlow, W. G. (William Gilson), 1844-1919, creator
- Papers provide an extensive documentation of Farlow's professional career, including botanical research in eastern U.S. and Europe, teaching at Harvard, and organizational activities, as well as of his personal life. Also documents growth of field of cryptogamic botany at Farlow Herbarium, at Harvard, and in North America. Includes correspondence, field notebooks, drawings, specimen and bibliographic lists, manuscripts of some of his published works, and notes. Also personal correspondence and financial papers; notes and drafts of speeches and class lectures; scrapbooks reflecting his activities within and outside of Harvard; class notes; certificates and diplomas; photographs, including portraits of Farlow, of his students, and other botanists, and views of the Farlow family estate and of specimens; and clippings.
- Place Of Origin:
- ca. 24 linear ft. (38 boxes).
Drafts (preliminary versions).
Glass plate negatives.
Manuscripts (for publication).
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Eliot, Charles
Atkinson, George Francis
Bary, A. de (Anton)
Berkeley, M. J. (Miles Joseph)
Bornet, Ed. (Edouard)
Burt, E. A. (Edward Angus)
Candolle, Alphonse de
Collins, Frank S. (Frank Shipley)
Cooke, M. C. (Mordecai Cubitt)
Durand, E. J. (Elias Judah)
Eaton, Daniel Cady
Ellis, Job Bicknell
Fries, Theodor Magnus
Farlow, Lilian Horsford
Farlow, W. G. (William Gilson)
Goodale, George L. (George Lincoln)
Peck, Charles H. (Charles Horton)
Ravenel, Henry William
Sargent, Charles Sprague
Boston Society of Natural History.
National Academy of Sciences (U.S.)
Marine Biological Laboratory (Woods Hole, Mass.)
Farlow Reference Library and Herbarium.
American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Botanical Society of America.
- William G. Farlow Bequest, 1919.
William Gilson Farlow Papers, 1866-1919. Farlow Reference Library, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
American botanist. Educated at Harvard University (B.A. 1866, M.D. 1870). Assistant Professor of Botany at Harvard, 1874-1879; Professor of Cryptogamic Botany, 1879-ca. 1919. Also taught at Bussey Institution, Jamaica Plain, 1874-1879.
Some correspondence in French and German.
Inventory Available in library or via the Internet; Folder level control.
- Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- Farlow Reference Library of Cryptogamic Botany, Botany Libraries, Harvard University
- Record ID: