The U.S. Naval Astronomical Expedition to the Southern Hemisphere, during the years 1849-'50-'51-'52: United States Naval Astronomical Expedition to the southern hemisphere, during the years 1849-'50-'51-'52
- Additional Digital Items:
- United States Naval Astronomical Expedition (1849-1852), creator
Gilliss, J. M. (James Melville), 1811-1865
MacRae, Archibald, 1820-1855
- Place Of Origin:
- District of Columbia
- A.O.P. Nicholson, printer
- Creation Date:
- 4 v. : ill. (some col.), maps, plans ; 30 cm.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- I. Chile: its geography, climate, earthquakes, government, social condition, mineral and agricultural resources, commerce, &c., &c. [with Appendices A, B, C] / by J. M. Gilliss. 1855. -- II. Report of journeys across the Andes and pampas of the Argentine provinces / by Archibald MacRae. Appendices: D. Report on the minerals and mineral waters of Chile / by J. Lawrence Smith. Appendix E. A description of the Indian antiquities brought from Chile and Peru, by the United States Naval Astronomical Expedition / by Thomas Ewbank. Appendix F. Zoology: Mammals / by S. F. Baird. Birds / by John Cassin. Reptiles, fishes, Crustacea / by Charles Girard. Shells / by A. A. Gould. Appendix G. Botany. List of the dried plants brought from Chile by the U.S.N. Astronomical Expedition / by Asa Gray. List of living plants and seeds / by Wm. D. Brackenridge. Appendix H. Paleontology. Description of a portion of the lower jaw and a tooth of the mastadon andium; also, of a tooth and fragment of the femur of a mastadon from Chile / by Jeffries Wyman. Some remarks on the organic remains from Chile, with descriptions of the species / by T. A. Conrad. Addendum. Meteoric iron of Atacama / by R.A. Philippi. 1855. -- III. Observations to determine the solar parallax, J. M. Gilliss. 1856. -- IV.-V. Not published. See note preceding contents -- VI. Magnetical and meteorological observations, under the direction of J. M. Gilliss. 1856.
- United States Naval Astronomical Expedition (1849-1852)
Scientific expeditions--Southern Hemisphere
Scientific expeditions--South America
Southern Hemisphere--Description and travel
South America--Description and travel
- Vols. 4 and 5, designed to contain the results of the astronomical observations, were not published. The material was published later by the U.S. Naval Observatory in its Astronomical and meteorological observations. (Washington observations) for 1868, app. I, 1871, and Astronomical, magnetic and meteorological observations (Washington observations) for 1890, app. I, 1895.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- J.M. Gilliss ; Archibald MacRae ... [et al.].
- Ex. doc. (United States. Congress. House) ; 33rd Congress, 1st session, no. 121
Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- Q115 .U5
Q115 .U5 vols. 1, 2
- Arnold Arboretum Library (Cambridge), Botany Libraries, Harvard
Widener Library, Harvard University
John G. Wolbach Library, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
Government Documents and Microforms Collection, Harvard Library, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: