Methods of study in natural history
- Agassiz, Louis, 1807-1873, creator
- Place Of Origin:
- Ticknor and Fields
- Creation Date:
- viii, 319, 21 p. : ill., map ; 19 cm.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- General sketch of the early progress in natural history -- Nomenclature and classification -- Categories of classification -- Classification and creation -- Different views respecting orders -- Gradation among animals -- Analogous types -- Family characteristics -- The characters of genera -- Species and breeds -- Formation of coral reefs -- Age of coral reefs as showing permanence of species -- Homologies -- Alternate generations -- The ovarian egg -- Embryology and classification.
Coral reefs and islands
- "The series of papers collected in this volume may be considered as a complement or commentary to my 'Essay on classification'--P. [iii].
"These chapters were first embodied in a course of lectures delivered at the Lowell Institute in Boston"--P. vi.
First printed in the Atlantic monthly, with exception of last chapter.
Publisher's advertisements: p. -21 (2nd set).
- by L. Agassiz.
- Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- QL351 .A27 1863
- Widener Library, Harvard University
Houghton Library, Harvard University
Center for the History of Medicine (Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine)
History of Science Library, Harvard University
Ernst Mayr Library of the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: