Essays in astronomy
- Ball, Robert S. (Robert Stawell), Sir, 1840-1913
- Place Of Origin:
- New York (State)
- D. Appleton
- Creation Date:
- Ed. de Grand Luxe
- xxi, 536 p.,  leaves of plates : ill., ports., facsim. ; 24 cm.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Atoms and sunbeams / by Sir Robert Stawell Ball -- The wanderings of the North Pole / by Sir Robert Stawell Ball -- The age of the sun's heat / by Sir William Thomson (Lord Kelvin) -- The past and future of our earth / by Richard Anthony Proctor -- A new theory of life in other worlds / by Richard Anthony Proctor -- Mathematical theories of the earth / by Robert Simpson Woodward -- The rotation and physical constitution of the planet Mercury / by Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli --The planet Mars / by Giovanni Virginio Schiaparelli -- Meteorites and stellar systems / by George Howard Darwin -- Magnitude of the solar system / by William Harkness -- The stability of the solar system / by Ormsby McKnight Mitchel -- The new planet, Eros / by Edmund Ledger -- Sidereal astronomy: old and new / by Edward Singleton Holden -- Photography the servant of astronomy / by Edward Singleton Holden -- The beginnings of American astronomy / by Edward Singleton Holden -- Stellar parallax / by Sir John Frederick William Herschel -- The history of the telescope / by Charles S. Hastings -- Results of spectrum analysis applied to heavenly bodies / by William Huggins -- Celestial spectroscopy / by William Huggins -- The new astronomy / by William Huggins -- An astronomer's work in a modern observatory / by David Gill -- The system of the world: the nebular hypothesis / by Pierre Simon, Marquis de Laplace -- Are the planets habitable? / by George M. Searle.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- by Ball ... [et al.] ; with a critical introduction by Edward Singleton Holden.
- World's great books
Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- QB51 .E7
- Widener Library, Harvard University
John G. Wolbach Library, Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: