Among the primitive Bakongo: Bakongo, Among the primitive: a record of thirty years' close intercourse with the Bakongo and other tribes of equatorial Africa, with a description of their habits, customs, & religious beliefs
- Weeks, John H., creator
Seeley, Service, & Co, publisher.
Ballantyne, Hanson and Co, printer.
- Place Of Origin:
- Seeley, Service & Co.
- Creation Date:
- 318 p.,  leaves of plates (1 folded): ill., col. map ; 23 cm.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- My first trip on the Congo River -- Journey to San Salvador -- San Salvador -- Court etiquette and native functionaries -- Reminiscences of Dom Pedro V, King of Kongo -- Native government and laws -- Language, idioms, and proverbs -- Native foods, drinks, and manufactures -- The social life of the family and village -- Congo women and their ways -- Birth and childhood -- Native amusements -- Courtship and marriage -- Salutations, blessings, and curses -- A secret society: country-of-the-dead -- A guild, bachelor's club, and circumcision -- Bush burning and hunting -- Warfare and its usages -- Market days and trading -- Black and white magic -- Fetishes and charms -- Taboos, first-fruits, and omens -- Diagnosis and divination -- Death and burial -- Religious beliefs -- Pot pourri -- Appendix. Note I: On ancient marks found on rocks above Matadi ; Note II: Names of the kings of Kongo ; Note III: List of kinship terms ; Note IV: Times and seasons ; Note V: The chigoe or jigger ; Note VI: Native diseases ; Note VII: A list of native remedies.
- Weeks, John H--Travel--Congo (Democratic Republic)
Kongo (African people)
Ethnology--Congo (Democratic Republic)
Folklore--Congo (Democratic Republic)
Kongo (African people)--Social life and customs--19th century
Congo (Democratic Republic)--Description and travel
Congo River--Description and travel
Africa, Central--Description and travel
- by John H. Weeks.
- Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- DT650 .W35
- Widener Library, Harvard University
Tozzer Library, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: