The world's discoverers: the story of bold voyages by brave navigators during a thousand years
- Johnson, William Henry, 1845-1907, creator
- Place Of Origin:
- Little, Brown
- Creation Date:
- xx, , 416 p. : ill., maps, ports. ; 21 cm.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Of Marco Polo and his influence in stimulating exploration -- The enterprise and the early discoveries of the Portuguese -- The youth and the surroundings of Christopher Columbus -- The first voyage and the discovery of America -- The second voyage, in which he explores Cuba -- The third voyage and the discovery of South America -- The fourth voyage, with terrible experiences on the coast of central America, and the death of Columbus -- Vasco Da Gama's voyage begun -- Rounding the Cape of Good Hope -- Arrival in India and varied experiences there -- Return to Portugal -- Magellan's youth and training -- The voyage begun -- The strait discovered -- Plague, pestilence, and famine -- Discovery of the Philippines and the death of Magellan -- The circumnavigation completed -- Verrazano explores the coast of the United States -- The earliest seekers of a northeast passage -- The earliest seekers of a northwest passage -- Frobisher's fancied discoveries -- John Davis's explorations -- The sea-kings of Queen Elizabeth's time -- The English dragon -- The dragon sails on Magellan's track -- The dragon reopens the southwest passage to Cathay -- Dutch explorers visit Nova Zembla -- Winter-bound on Nova Zembla -- In open bots from Nova Zembla to Lapland -- Henry Hudson's voyages towards the northeast -- Hudson's exploration of the Hudson River -- Hudson explores Hudson Bay -- A northwest passage discovered -- The "Vega" begins her famous voyage -- Through the Kara Sea to the northernmost point of Asia -- The "Vega's" intercourse with natives in Siberia -- In winter quarters on the Siberian coast -- Through Behring Strait to Cipango.
- Discoveries in geography
Voyages and travels
America--Discovery and exploration
- "Books of reference": p. [xxi].
- by William Henry Johnson.
- Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- G80 .J67
- Widener Library, Harvard University
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: