Diary of Anticosti expedition, 1861: Diary of the Anticosti expedition, 1861
- Verrill, A. E. (Addison Emery), 1839-1926, creator
- The journal includes information in keeping with the character of an expedition log, such as weather, travel conditions, the progress of work, and descriptions of locations and specimens including fossils, fish, and minerals.
- Place Of Origin:
- Québec (Province)
- Creation Date:
- vi, 300 leaves : ill. ; 24 cm.
0.1 cubic foot (1 volume in 1 box)
- Harvard students' diaries.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Journal, 13 June 1861 to 3 September 1861 (leaves 1-252) -- Localities of fossils collected at Anticosti (5 leaves; tipped in between leaves 253 and 254) -- Rhodactinia Davisii (leaf 257) -- Illustrations (leaves 276-300)
- Verrill, A. E. (Addison Emery)
Peabody Museum of Natural History.
Animals--Québec (Province)--Anticosti Island
Fossils--Québec (Province)--Anticosti Island
Minerals--Québec (Province)--Anticosti Island
Zoology--Québec (Province)--Anticosti Island
Zoology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Massachusetts--Cambridge
Natural history--Study and teaching (Higher)--Massachusetts--Cambridge
Natural history--Québec (Province)--Anticosti Island
Anticosti Island (Québec)--Description and travel
- The Peabody Museum of Natural History at Yale University holds at least some of the specimens collected by the expedition. The fossils are held by the Division of Invertebrate Paleontology.
Verrill, A. E. Diary of Anticosti expedition, 1861. HUF 298.461. Harvard University Archives, Cambridge, Mass.
Addison Emery Verrill (1839-1926) earned his Harvard SB summa cum laude in 1862 and an honorary AM from Yale in 1867. He joined an expedition to Anticosti in the summer between his junior and senior years at Harvard. He was Professor of Comparative Anatomy and Entomology at the University of Wisconsin from 1868 to 1870. He was Yale University's first Professor of Zoology, serving there from 1864-1907.
Complementary material in the Harvard University Archives consists of Verrill's Diary, 1860-1862 (HUD 860.90). That diary lacks summer 1861, which this diary covers.
- Collections of the Harvard University Archives
Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- Harvard University Archives
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: