Diary of A. E. Verrill, 1 January 1860-21 December 1863: Diary of Addison Emery Verrill, 1860-1863
- Verrill, A. E. (Addison Emery), 1839-1926, creator
- The journal includes information on Verrill's daily activities, health, and study of zoology. Diary entries are almost daily, each includes a list of activities. A few entries are illustrated with drawings of specimens or humorous sketches relating to daily life or the collecting of specimens. The diary has only occasional references to current events such as the Civil War. There are no entries for the summer of 1861, the period of the Anticosti expedition.
- Place Of Origin:
- 1 v. : ill. ; 24 cm.
0.1 cubic foot (1 volume in 1 box)
- Harvard students' diaries.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Verrill, A. E. (Addison Emery)
Zoology--Study and teaching (Higher)--Massachusetts--Cambridge
Natural History--Study and teaching (Higher)--Massachusetts--Cambridge
- Title supplied by cataloger.
Verrill, A. E. (Addison Emery). Diary of A. E. Verrill, 1 January 1860-21 December 1863. HUD 860.90. Harvard University Archives, Cambridge, Mass.
Addison Emery Verrill (1839-1926) earned his Harvard SB summa cum laude in 1862 and an honorary AM from Yale in 1867. As an undergraduate student, he spent much of his time in the study of zoology, spending many hours cataloging specimens in the museum of comparative zoology and joining expeditions. In the summer of 1861, Addison Emery Verill, a Harvard undergraduate, joined an expedition to Anticosti. He worked closely with Professor Louis Agassiz. Verrill became Professor of Comparative Anatomy and Entomology at the University of Wisconsin from 1868 to 1870. He was Yale University's first Professor of Zoology, serving there from 1864-1907.
The Harvard University Archives also holds the Private journal of A. E. Verrill for 1859 (HUD 859.90) and the Diary of Anticosti expediton, 1861 (HUF 298.461).
- Collections of the Harvard University Archives
Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- Harvard University Archives
- Record ID:
- HOLLIS Record: