Records of the North Bennet Street Industrial School, 1880-1973, Series IIAviii, folder 48
- North Bennet Street Industrial School (Boston, Mass.), creator
- Collection contains administrative and financial records, including minutes of meetings of the Board of Managers, annual reports, and ledgers; correspondence of the Directors with Board members, social and government agencies, donors, businesses, students, and teachers; internal memoranda; catalogs; 8000 vocational placement index cards; news releases; bulletins; scrapbooks; 300 photos; clippings; and other material. The bulk of the collection, Office files, divided into two subseries: Administration and Program, contains records pertaining to the Board of Directors, staff/personnel, physical plant, financial matters, insurance, other social agencies, government agencies, history, publicity, industrial classes, vocational guidance and placement, industries, settlement services, and camps. Most of the records before about 1910 were destroyed in two fires.
- Place Of Origin:
- 78.63 linear feet. (149 file boxes, 33 card file boxes) plus 65 oversize volumes, 1 folio folder, 2 folio+ folders, 2 oversize folders, 1 supersize folder, 2 feet of photographs, 3 motion picture films, 2 reels of microfilm (M-43).
- Annual reports.
- Digital Format:
- Books and documents
- Saint-Gaudens, Augustus
Gould, Lawrence A
Morison, Elizabeth Shaw
Brush, George de Forest
Caldwell, Grace M
De Mille, Agnes
Dodd, Alvin Earl
Fenno, Pauline Shaw
Fessenden, Russell Green
Fiske, Annie F. W
Greener, George C
Greenough, Henry Vose
Higginson, Ida Agassiz
Shattuck, Henry Lee
Shaw, Pauline A. (Pauline Agassiz)
Sturgis, R. Clipston (Richard Clipston)
Williams, Mary Elizabeth
Boston Council of Social Agencies.
Boston Social Union.
Committee of the Permanent Charity Fund, Boston.
Community Federation of Boston.
Greater Boston Community Fund.
Greater Boston federation of neighborhood houses.
National Federation of Settlements and Neighbourhood Centers.
North End Industrial Home (Boston, Mass.)
North Bennet Street Industrial School (Boston, Mass.)
Play School for Habit Training.
United Community Services of Metropolitan Boston.
Clock and watch making
Emigration and immigration
Lighting, Architectural and decorative
Woodwork (Manual training)
Boston (Mass.)--Social conditions
Boston (Mass.)--Social life and customs
North End (Boston, Mass.)--Social conditions
- Arranged in seven series: I. Printed reports and 19th century records, 1880-1919. II. Office files, 1881-1973. III. Financial records, 1912-1967. IV. Class registers and attendance books, 1886-1966. V. Card files, 1919-1961. VI. Photographs, ca. 1900-1950s. VII. Material from scrapbooks, 1905-1966.
North Bennet Street Industrial School Records. Schlesinger Library, Radcliffe Institute, Harvard University.
Originals were returned to the donor after filming.
Pauline (Agassiz) Shaw was the guiding spirit and considered the founder of this trade school and settlement house in Boston's North End. Founded in 1879 to provide a means of self-help for the poor, the North End Industrial Home first established a sewing room managed and staffed mainly by women for women. In 1885 the school was incorporated under its present name to serve the surrounding immigrant community, which after 1900 was mainly Italian. It aimed to help the immigrants become citizens and improve their economic conditions. In addition to the sewing room, the School offered other vocational courses for children and adults, a day nursery and Play School for Habit Training, a library, clubs, outings, pageants, summer camps, a credit union, and an industrial training program. For many years it provided vocational training to Boston public school students, sponsoring such industries as lighting fixtures and lead garden ornaments which it sold in its Industrial Arts Shop. Vocational guidance and placement were initiated before WWI but were emphasized particularly during the Depression, when the School helped run a work relief program for the unemployed. After both world wars the School participated in government programs to train veterans and handicapped persons, and it has been active in civic improvement projects in the North End. It attracts students from all over the United States, and is affiliated with the United Way (formerly the Boston Council of Social Agencies).
Early superintendents of the School were women. In 1909, Alvin E. Dodd became director, and after him George Courtright Greener, a potter from Columbus, Ohio, succeeded in 1954 by Ernest Jacoby. The school has had an active Board of Managers that has included many prominent Bostonians.
Electronic finding aid available http://nrs.harvard.edu/urn-3:RAD.SCHL:sch00829
Unpublished finding aid; see also Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library..., The Manuscript Inventories and the Catalogs...10v., (Boston: G.K. Hall, 1984)
- Open Collections Program at Harvard University
- Arthur and Elizabeth Schlesinger Library on the History of Women in America, Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, Harvard University
- Record ID: